Saturday, August 21, 2010

Switzerland


I've never really expected anything before I come to Switzerland. My impression for a European country is advance, efficient public transports and that's all. When I reached Luzern, it was cold, at least to me it was. It was only around 15 °C and I had to put my jacket on, and they say it's only summer.

I didn't sleep well on the plane due to babies crying all the time, and when I was brought to my room, the next thing I was told to change to my business suit for lunch. WTH ?! Just for lunch. Fine. Unpack, changed, went down for lunch. Then changed back into casual, and went for city tour. I was like awake for more than 19 hours and didn't even get a good rest, but had to go on a city tour. So, we got onto the bus, and it's around 15 minutes drive to the city from campus. We were brought to the train station, and the bus stops, then around the lake together with some introductions to markets, post office, banks and etc. However, one thing made me excited, a LIVERPOOL bar. Haha. Never even in my dreams I would see one here. I'd love to go at least once! The lake was beautiful with clear waters with swans and ducks swimming around. No joke, the swan is at least half as big as a teenage girl. Honestly I'm quite happy because I get to see quite a few beautiful blonds. =D

Nothing special about Induction day. Briefing and rules as usual. Introduction to lecturers, chefs and staff. Everything is on the website here. Time tables, lecture power points, news, events, and even communication can be done directly to lecturers through the University website. It's quite impressing on the way they do things here. The campus is not very big, and there's a recreational area for students where they play table tennis, table futsal and pool, a library, gym, a place for students to do discussions, a very beautiful view of the town on the mountains across the lake.








Slowly, I get along with more friends. Most of them are speaking english, and I use cantonese when I talk to those from Hong Kong. There's quite a long range of international students here from all over Asia, Koreans, Japanese, Vietnamese, Malaysians, Thais, Indonesians. And from America, Russia, Norway, Holland, Australia, Africa, China. The only language I don't use is Malay here. Great. Sometimes I do have problems hanging out because of topics, difference in thoughts and ideas, cultural backgrounds and social backgrounds. Most of the time I stick with friends from my own country, Vietnamese, Thais. In class, mostly is with the students from Hong Kong. Somehow, I find it hard to adapt with the Europeans. I hope the situation will change in the future.



Classes has already begun now, so far everything is ok. Nothing much to mention. Only subject I have a problem is Food & Beverage. At the moment, it's all about beer, wine, tasting, history, procedure and everything. Unfortunately for me, it's one of the must-know knowledge in this industry. Food is something I worry least because I feel like I'm in heaven due to the variety and style of cooking with I have no problems adapting at all. Of course sometimes I eat outside due to traveling or special occasions. There's also a restaurant ''Swiss Room'' in campus where students get to have a different environment, variety and also to be served by other students there. Most importantly, it's also included in the course fee under the food category. Need to exercise for sure !




No comments:

Post a Comment