Friday, October 22, 2010

Confused

I got some feedback from the Diploma in IMI.
Somehow I feel doing Diploma here is not that worth it.
I compared with a few friends who did and did not do Diploma here in IMI.

My friends who used to study in Taylors College back in KL told me that Diploma was 2 years.
As I was told, Diploma in Hospitality is very much based on kitchen and service.
They were saying that back in Taylor's they learned a lot more compared to what they offer here.
They had beverage classes, Kitchen, Service.

They had the same course here but I got a feeling that they just go through things briefly where Taylor's college really get into the details.
I was comparing what I was learning here and what they learned during their first years.
In terms of service, there's a bit difference due to French fine dining & American fine dining. So we cannot really compare.
In beverage class, Taylors College provide classes where students really experience and learn to do cocktails, mock-tails for serving guest purpose.
While here, we only learned how to make Coffee such as double espresso, Cappuccino, with the machine.
Here, most of the things were done in theory. I did learn about cocktails here but only through theory. Next week we are going to visit the bar but we don't get to make cocktails ourselves.
Even in Diploma, they did not learn what my friends learned which I feel is a disadvantage in the future.
In kitchen, Taylor graduates appear to learned more than Diploma students who graduated from IMI.
They discussed about the differences with their classmates in Higher Diploma and it seems that the standard of Certificate & Diploma here is not providing enough.

Then I had another Thai friend who did Diploma in Culinary in New Zealand before joining IMI.
He also agreed that what they are teaching here are not 'up to standards'

Lately they were talking about internships. Some of my friends from Higher Diploma did not even get an interview yet but my friends who did Diploma in Taylors and in New Zealand Culinary school already had 3 interviews and still more to come for the following months. I feel that they are more competitive in terms of knowledge and experience to those who were here all along.

I feel that now I still have a choice before I continue from here.
Maybe I'm looking at the wrong perspective ?

I want to be competitive. Not in terms of studies but in terms of performance and leading. Studies do play a part but experience beats everything. What should I do now ?

No comments:

Post a Comment