Thursday, June 12, 2014

China (July - December)

Of all places, how the hell did I end up in China ? 
After all that negative news and cultures of China, cant believe I worked there for 6 months.
Even serving the chinese customers in Switzerland frightens me sometimes.

In the end of the day, its because of the brand : The Ritz Carlton
I've got a chance to work for The Ritz Carlton. Of course I took it.
Knowing Giselle, Anna, Freddie and Li May is there also eases me a bit.

I was already prepared for the worst since I made that decision.
Before I arrive in Sanya, I didnt know what kind of city it was
I only knew that it belongs to the Hainan province.
Well, Sanya is still developing, but then the mentality of the people ? Dont ask.

First day, we arrived at night, checked in, at then we met our first friend, Jennifer.
I was staying in the 3rd floor with 3 local guys. When I moved in they werent there, so I went out for dinner.
During dinner, me and Li May got to know more about Jennifer.

After that we went back to our rooms, trying to settle down.
And then I met my roommate, and then my room mates.
They were actually pretty nice guys. But then maybe the age gap was there. And the room was pretty small.
So we were cramped into a small box with 4 people, at least I had internet.

Sharing bathrooms is definitely the worst possible idea as you see things you never thought you would see
And I never want to see that again.
In the end, I requested to change room to the 10th floor, with our own bathroom.
I was so god damn relieved.
Then there was Kenneth, Jennifer's ex boyfriend which I came to found out about later on.
Kenneth is younger than me, but he talks alot
Talks alot but with only 1 topic, which was how the relationship went and how he wanted her back
For days and days and days he went on and on and on
Freddie arrives, PASS !
his turn to listen to all the bible stuff, i cant stand it anymore
and suddenly i'm in between my first friend in china, and my room mate.
where do i stand ?

People were quite impressed with me actually. Knowing that I am Malaysia but yet speaks Mandarin
and most importantly English
was quite proud back then as people respect and look up to you
Although I couldnt really get along with my teammates because we were only together for 5 months
and most of the time they were using terms which I do not understand which i just ignore
but then fortunately we were able to work together as we all know what we need to achieve

during my first 2 weeks, I was getting started to get used to the stuff in the restaurant
and then here comes something I never thought I would do
Kids care
Apparently there was this program for the guest to allow their children to take part in a learning program
With the european culture, sports, drawing, treasure hunt, releasing turtles
its a 3 day program, and it lasted for around 3 and a half week
so I was repeating the same program again and again
the interesting part is that the kids are always different although the program is the same
kids, i do like kids, i like playing with kids
but when they become troublesome, i just want to throw them into the pool
somehow I guess the children are amazed by everything which is one of the factors that makes them obey our orders such as cola and mentos, which makes them wow and excited
seeing their faces makes me happy too
actually quite enjoyable working with them, although its a bit tired because they run all over the place and you have to keep your eyes on each and everyone one of them so they dont get lost or injured under your watch, which could lead to their parents blasting and complaining. 

Unfortunately I havent took any photos back with me, but then I still remember their faces
One photo i have is that I was in a turtle costume
yeap, eean tan, in a turtle costume
kids are so naive, they ask, am i real ? do i talk ? 
so i just pat their head
(of course not, silly)

Once in a while, I also get to meet people from other departments, and surprisingly there are alot of young students like me in the hotel doing an internship
I think the younger generations are better educated in terms of manners and stuff
there are also quite a few honest and good people around
perhaps only the rich people are the ones that are causing the negative image of the chinese customers

by now I wouldve forgotten most names
but then some of them did left a deep impression
Robin, i think she is the only one that i can say to really communicate? 
she was also in switzerland for her studies and went back to sanya to work, she is originally from haikou if not mistaken
she always laugh when I dont understand the local terms and make fun of me, but she's also the one who guides me for the whole month throughout the kids program, after that we didnt had chance to work together except when i was assigned to help for breakfast or banquet

and then there are people from Sands
David, always grateful to him as he trusted me, perhaps I did achieve as much as Muse, but I hoped I gave him another dimension to help his work
Joanna, Karolina, works under David, mostly in charge of tdhe stuff that bastian wants.
Simon, a very enthusiastic young man but then his contribution is limited by lacked of power
Sharpay, Will, the other supervisors, and Bruce
 Jessica, the one who first greetesdfd me  when I first came
Cici, Jacky, Jason, Alston, Jack, Dudu, Eric, Ashley, Helda, Bruce, Kuber,
and also the kitchen team !

Next post : life in switzerland

No comments:

Post a Comment